A Taste of Spokane
I come from a large, Italian family that absolutely loves to cook and more specifically, eat. Luckily, Gonzaga’s new dining facility, known to GU students as “The COG” always has fantastic options no matter what you may be looking to eat. From the Mongolian Grill, wood fired pizza, or our vegetarian/gluten free options, there’s always something yummy.
Beyond our on-campus cuisine, Spokane has an incredible food scene. If you’re visiting Gonzaga for a campus tour and have some time to explore our greater Spokane community, I highly encourage you to explore a local restaurant and get a taste of Spokane.
After two-years of extensive research, I’ve created the following top five restaurant recommendations. Check out my list below of some of my favorite places to eat:
- Steelhead Bar & Grille- Located in the heart of downtown, Steelhead offers a variety of New American cuisine. They are dedicated to featuring locally sourced products that celebrate the freshness of the Northwest. I highly recommend their pepper steak.
- Wolffy’s Hamburgers- Right on the northeast corner of campus, Wolffy’s is your classic 50’s diner. A short walk from campus, it’s perfect for grabbing a quick bite at the counter. Their french toast is incredible.
- Luigi’s Italian Restaurant- You definitely cannot go wrong with any of their pastas! They have been awarded Restaurant of the Year, and offer a “fancy” atmosphere in a restored 1800s building. It’s a great place for dinner, and there’s free parking after 5pm.
- The Yards Bruncheon- Located in one of Spokane’s fastest developing neighborhoods Kendall Yards, The Yards presents some quirky twists on classics like Breakfast Nachos and Chicken & Waffles. Huckleberry pancakes are my favorite thing on the menu.
- The Flying Goat- This is the perfect place to grab a pizza dinner with your friends and a favorite of Spokane-locals. [WC1] I consider “fancy pizza”—my favorite is the Kiernan Pizza: Italian sausage, arugula, house cheese blend, heavy cream, truffle oil, with a fried egg on top. My Italian family would approve!
Jack is a Sophomore studying Accounting and Business Administration from Morgan Hill, California.